I seriously cannot make this story up. Really.

File May 18, 4 39 14 PMSo if you follow along with my family and me here on Surviving Mommy.com or follow me on social media, you know that lately, life has not been a walk in the park. A little over a week ago, we had to call 911 because my Momma Jane couldn’t breathe and ended up spending the last week in the hospital. She recently came home, yay!, but we are still waiting for the results of some lung tests they did to get to the bottom of what really is ailing her. Because that is not enough, our 10 yo has been trying to shake a cough the last few weeks which now has made it’s way to me. So now, I have been sick as a dog the last few days overlapping with my mom coming home trying to heal.

And because all of THAT isn’t enough, this morning I had to call 911. AGAIN! For my husband!!! This is where I will give you the WARNING! WARNING! What happened next is not for the faint of heart so please discontinue reading if that is you.

OK. Here we go.

Shortly after 5am, I got awake. I noticed the light on in our bathroom and figured my husband was in the bathroom presumably getting ready for work because he goes to work pretty early. I rolled back over thinking yay, I don’t have to get up until 630am. A few minutes later I heard a VERY loud crash. I paused thinking, what in the heck did he knock over in the bathroom of all places?! I got up, walked into the bathroom and opened the door to find my husband on the floor, blood everywhere. Like a crime scene. He wasn’t moving or responding to my yelling for him to wake up. Because there was blood all over his face and the floor, it was hard to rationally assess what happened so I just kept yelling and yelling for him to wake up. I didn’t want to move him. I thought…what if he broke his neck? What if he had an aneurysm. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED! I went flying into our bedroom and into our hallway to grab the home phone. I guess I thought it was 1997 or something because I thought I should grab the home phone instead of my cell so that 911 could find me. Oy. I was screaming into the phone telling the nice woman at 911 I needed an ambulance because my husband was bleeding and not moving. Just so you have some understanding. I am so USUALLY completely calm in ALL situations like this. I think clearly, calmly, rationally…but not this morning. This was my husband. the father of my children, the love of my life and I was completely scared to death.

While all of this was going on, my husband started to slowly open his eyes. Right about this time, our ten year old started to walk into the bathroom and without hesitation, I magically smiled and said in a 100% completely calm voice…”Hi honey, Daddy isn’t feeling well and I had to call a Doctor, please go back to your room and back to sleep and Mommy will be there in just a minute.” I guess all of those trips to Disney have paid off because I sounded like a Disney Princess when I spoke to her.

While on the phone with 911, I said that I thought his nose was broken which would have explained some of the blood. The rest of the blood I figured was coming from the gash in his lip. He started to come to and was able to sit up. The paramedics arrived and determined his vitals were fine but that we should transport him to a hospital. I woke up my sweet neighbor Sandy and asked her to come take care of the girls. We seriously have AMAZING neighbors. I didn’t want to wake up my Momma Jane because I am more concerned with her resting and healing. However, my mom and Miss. Sandy were rock stars this morning getting both of the girls off to school. We haven’t had very good experiences with hospitals lately so we chose to drive ourselves to the hospital of our choice and that meant a drive into the city from where we live in the country. We arrived to the ER at Northside Hospital and of course as usual, they were AWESOME! They did a CT on his head, took some labs and it turns out he broke his nose. He got four stitches on his nose and six in his lip. Good gravy! They said he would have to consult a plastic surgeon so I immediately texted Dr. Kavali. She did my Breast Cancer reconstructive surgery and is a friend. He is going to see her on Friday. He was a champ getting those stitches and throughout the whole horrible morning really. I, on the other hand totally burst into tears every time he looked at me and that has continued the entire rest of this day. The thought of something happening to my best friend was almost too much to bear.

Turns out they think he might have something called Vasovagal Syncope. So you don’t have to “google it” like I did, basically “Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope. The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness. Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it’s possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.” (From: MayoClinic.org) I mean WHAT IN THE WORLD?!

So we were discharged with some pain medicine and antibiotics and I knew he was starting to feel a little better because he said he was starving and wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A. Smart man!

I walked in the house with my husband AND to a phone call from my oldest daughter’s school. She was feeling sick and needed me to pick her up. All I could do was laugh because all I wanted to do was crawl into bed, have a total emotional breakdown and go to sleep. I brought her home and all three of us got into our beds for a two hour nap. Not before I said my 97th prayer to God thanking him for saving my husband this morning. So if see me at Kroger or Target over the nest few days and I randomly burst into tears while talking to you, it’s because I am so overcome with gratitude that my husband is ok and it has made also me super overcome with emotion. I am hoping a few days from now and once I get to feeling better my emotional outbursts will stop. lol

Two weeks from Saturday, we are supposed to leave for a Caribbean cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines. All I can think of is beaches, food, sleep and most importantly, uninterrupted quality time with my husband and our family. We have been looking forward to this family Summer vacation since the beginning of the year and boy, will we surely be appreciating it!!

XO Surviving Mommy


, ,
, ,